Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Arrival.

After four hours from Georgia to Los Angeles and fifteen hours from Los Angeles to Sydney, Australia we made it to my new home. The flight was not as bad as I had expected, I slept for about eight of the fifteen hours. We arrived at eight a.m. which is six p.m. in Georgia. Even though we were very jet lag, we didn't let ourselves go to sleep so we could adjust to the time change. My mom and I shopped around and got to know the area the first day, then Sunday night we went to our first service of Hillsong Church. It was awesome, there is such a moving atmosphere about the church and all the people seem full of life. My mom, who only got two hours of sleep on the plane, crashed right after church and I went and had dinner with Caressa.

Day two came very early, we were up at 6:45 getting ready for move in day! We arrived at the church where I was assigned my house and it just so happened that my roommate and I arrived at the exact same time. Her name is Nastassia and she is from Austria. We have so much in common and share the same interests which is such an answered prayer. She can speak English German and French which blows me away. Getting to see our house and room for the first time was exciting. We are living in a gated community with a work out facility and a pool. Another answered prayer haha. As we walked in we were greeted by our other housemates (we have seven girls living in our house) and one is from Marietta Georgia! The others are from Sweden, New Zealand, and Hawaii. We have a lot of cultures in our house which I think will add to the fun. Two new guy friends that helped us moved offered to take us shopping for the things we would need for our rooms and I don't think they knew what they were getting themselves into. We started at ten in the morning and did not stop until ten at night. We got almost everything we needed in once day. We were exhausted.

Some things that I have already noticed that are quite different from home is the shopping. Not only clothing, but also groceries. The malls have everything in one, it would be like having a Publix and a Target inside the Mall Of Georgia. It is very convenient, but will be very tempting to buy clothing when I am suppose to be grocery shopping. In Australia there are less department stores and more smaller stores, and they are all awesome. I have definitely noticed that the people who live here are a lot more into fashion than at home, and I am loving it. I am hoping to get a job at a cafe/restaurant because I have heard they are good about working around students school schedules. The first grocery store journey was interesting. There is no Honey Nut Cheerios, Kraft sliced cheese, Quaker chewy granola bars, Jiff peanut butter, and so many other things that are delicious at home. But i am going to make the best of it and was introduced to some new things that will do for now haha.

Right now my my mom, Nastassia, and I are going to walk around in the neighborhood then head to get more things we realized we forgot yesterday. I will keep you posted as much as possible about more exciting things I will be doing coming up next week! Caressa and I are planning parties and trips, pictures are on the way!

1 comment:

  1. Sounds awesome. Definitely need to see some pictures soon. Take care.
    Lisa and Mike

    ReplyDelete